Wednesday, April 18, 2007

EDUTOPIA

I checked out George Lucas' EDUTOPIA site- began searching around to see what section titles seemed most interesting to me, and here's what I came up with:

1. "Amount You Spend Out of Pocket Each Year on Classroom Supplies"
I was very curious in this section because I am more than willing to spend my own money to benefit my students' and classroom needs. At the same time, I'm worried how much I will have to provide because my budget can't. While this site didn't provide a lot of answers, it let me in on a little secret that I didn't know before. Check it out.

2. "Best YouTube Video about Education"
I was glad with this short article. It sums up that you can use sites, such as YouTube, for educational purposes without having to focus on the junk that may be on there as well. In other words: why boycott something useful and educational to students, which they can relate to and enjoy, just because there might somewhere be something not useful on it.

3. "Best Technology Product for Less than $100"
I enjoyed this article for one reason: the flash drive. During my Observation at Newfield High School, I noticed students saving their papers onto CD's so they could bring them into class and work on them. Unfortunately, that wastes a lot of space on the CD AND sometimes the information doesn't save properly or at all. One student in particular couldn't pull up her paper on the school's computer. When I went to help her I realized that she hadn't saved the information to the CD. Now her four page paper, which they were finishing in class and which was due at the end of the day, was sitting at home on her computer. I pulled out my flash drive, showed it to her, and told her she should get one. She mentioned to me that her father had a lot of them lying around, but she didn't know how to use them. So I should her and told her to ask her father for one. This piece of technology is helpful for students to keep their work organized and available.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a site worth checking out!!! I'm glad you did.