Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Shape-Shifting Portfolio

After reading Shape-Shifting Portfolios: Millennial Youth, Literacies, and the Game of Life, I had to sit back and consider what was included in my shape-shifting portfolio and how I was building onto it. I kept going back to the definition given at the beginning of the article: a "collection of skills-- for example, educational, social, service, and sports experiences and achievements that can be arranged and rearranged in order to define and redefine oneself as a certain kind of competent person" (114). Well, in that case, I've been building my shape-shifting portfolio all throughout the semester during ENG 307, even if I haven't realized it or felt like I have. For example, in the physicality of the portfolio, I have contributed to groups and collaborated with others to create projects using technology and programs that I have never used before. Metaphorically, I have built onto my by attending events centered on both ENG 307 and the English Department: Scholars' Day, the D.A.T.E. Conference, and presentations such as the one given by Bruce Coville. My physical and metaphorical contributions all add to my portfolio, but I'm still unsure how to showcase the shape-shifting events that can't be shown through "hard-copy."

The article does a wonderful job explaining Katie, Thomas, and Mario's shape-shifting portfolios; how the world around them, their cultures, lives, and literacies all contribute to the portfolios. But how would Mario showcase his culture's influence (and his influence on his culture) in his portfolio? I feel this is where I would help students when they were building their own shape-shifting portfolios. Students need to understand that when representing themselves, they need to show more than hard-copy works. granted, the hard-copy papers, projects, etc. are beneficial and should be shown, but that is not what makes a person who they are. Rather, it is everything in their world that contributes to what they are becoming. So Katie needs to know how to implement her Web use into her portfolio, even if she sees it as her "down-time" from her work; Thomas would include his literacy and literature influences; and Mario would stress his cultural influences.

In other words, the teacher is a guide for students to help students realize what they can put into their shape-shifting portfolios.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jessica, I agree. You are asking the right question when you query how does one "show" what cannot be shown on hard copy??

It's what is able to DO and who one IS that creates the ELA classroom.

All that we talked about last week when we discussed the pearl in the oyster--and how it forms. How if acquires layers of opalescence. That's what you are doing!!!

K

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.